Poet~tree EnMotion Presents…
The 2018 Spring Equinox in Celebration of Women!
Wednesday, March 21st, 7-10pm (Doors @ 7pm)!
This ongoing seasonal series features a variety of multi-disciplinary performance, arts & culture presentations… Doors open @ 7pm & performances begins shortly after featuring, a Fierce Female Lead Lineup of Artists ranging from Live Musical Acts to Spoken Word Flowetry to Folkloric Infused Dance Movements.
A FREE community event … but Donations are Appreciated!
A Live Music, Movement & Dance Celebration in Honor of Her-Story!}
· Angi Vita: Live Painter using the body as a living canvas…angivita.com
· KyoDaiko: Philadelphia-based community Taiko drumming ensemble. kyodaiko.com
· Lydia Swaray: West African Singer/Songwriter using music to express her voice. facebook.com/Lydia-Music-2000455466902518
· Modero Dance Co.: A fusion of traditional and modern dance disciplines based in Indonesian culture. moderocompany.com
· Three Aksha Dance Co.: Preserving & promoting Indian culture & heritage through classical Bharatanatyam dance. threeaksha.org
· Sonni Shine & Guests: percussive riffs, artful melodies & meaningful lyrics create an earthy combination of soul, funk, jazz, and folk. SonniShineMusic.com
· Angi Vita, a graduate of Richard Stockton University, has a bachelor’s degree in Interdisciplinary Fine Arts. Her degree, in addition to life experiences, is utilized in connecting to viewers through various avenues of art such as oil painting, body painting, sculpture, dance, mixed media, and performance art. She has been active in the artistic community for over ten years. Inspiration is often derived from her exposure to various cultures and mentalities which fuels her desire in reaching a wider audience for the purpose of human growth. angivita.com
· Lydia Swaray is a singer/songwriter who was born in West Africa Liberia. Her influences derives from old folk and her grandfather. Her unique instrumental of guitar and expressive voice brings a sense of calm to her audience. Her wish is to help people through music therapy. facebook.com/Lydia-Music-2000455466902518
· Modero is a community based dance company that was founded in 2011. Sinta decided to start her own dance company after her trip to Poso in Central Sulawesi and consulted with her sister Diana. Her sister gave her blessing and her brother Igor Saykoji designed her logo complete with a Pamonian dancer wearing the traditional Pamonian outfit called Tomboli and then Modero was born. Sinta’s vision is to combine traditional and modern dance disciplines. This fusion brings the best of both worlds in energetic & intricate choreography. Modero started in the city of Philadelphia with only 4 dancers, Amelia Laytham, Whitney Postman and Katherine Antarikso. Modero performed in many different community gatherings, city of Philadelphia events, Andrea Clearfield’s legendary salon, Laura Cohn’s From Bali to Bala Annual Gift Show to a few local Latin Showcases. Modero dancers has grown over the years and now consist of 20 dancers as young as 4 years old and as old as 67 years young. Modero has been recognized to be the Indonesian culture torch bearer in the city of brotherly love and have performed in many prestigious events such as the World Festival of Families during the Papal Visit in September 2015, Philadelphia Philles games in 2015 and 2016, Ted@UPS Talk on September 15, 2016 in Atlanta Georgia (SCAD SHOW) and more. With high demands in bringing more quality event planning and entertainment within the Indonesian community, Modero has grown and provide a broader service to the community. With many years of event planning under her belt from wedding , community events with as many as 1500 people in attendance, Sinta is now joined by DJ Storms and DJ RAH on Modero’s entertainment division. These services are available for the community as well as private events. moderocompany.com
· Kyo Daiko is a Philadelphia-based community taiko drumming ensemble. All members are volunteers that perform for love of the art and the energy that the great drums bring to them. Kyo Daiko performs regularly at a wide range of venues: from school and community events, to Phillies baseball games, Japanese festivals (including Washington D.C.’s National Cherry Blossom Festival), to more unusual settings such as roller derbies and museums. In 2013, Kyo Daiko was showcased during the Philadelphia International Festival of the Arts (PIFA) in a commissioned piece with Kaoru Watanabe, performed both at the Settlement Music School and at Shofuso Japanese House and Garden. The group was founded in 2005 and originally led by Kristopher Rudzinski, who studied and performed with Marco Lienhard’s group Taikoza in New York. The group’s membership comes from a wide variety of backgrounds, and continue to grow with new students and continuing players. Members attend regular classes throughout the year and participate in workshops with master teachers from around the world.
· Native to West Philadelphia, Plum Dragomess (a.k.a. Gabrielle de Burke) is a multi-talented thespian, dancer, martial artist, instructor, poetess and writer who has been involved with performing arts since childhood. She is known for her poetic style, vocal performance, fire dance, flow arts and choreographic flair throughout Philadelphia and abroad. Over the past 15 years, she has toured not only as a solo artist, founding member/core performer/assistant artistic director of Archedream for HumanKind among many others. She has also independently released 2 albums of original work with the project Plum Dragoness & the Elements, known for its fusion of multi-media, live world beat musical infusions, spoken word vocals & lyrical poetry. She has also helped bring together the all female performance group trio known as The Femme-Mynistiques, who will officially release their debut EP “Here She Comes…” in the summer of 2016. Since 2007, Plum has been a resident performance artist, as well as host and organizer for the successful performing arts series known as Poet-tree En Motion at The Rotunda! This has allowed her the opportunity to share her own creative performances (including collaborative projects she initiated) and work created by a plethora of other unique artists with the west Philadelphia community and beyond! Gabrielle’s work as a healing arts practitioner and instructor continues to intersect with her work as an inter-disciplinary performance artist through the incorporation of Internal and Martial Arts forms in combination with Dance, Poetry and Theater presentation. Gabrielle has been teaching in, around the Philadelphia area & abroad since 2000. If you dig It… then follow: ThePlumDragoness.com + facebook.com/4plumdragoness & Listen:soundcloud.com/plum-dragoness + cdbaby.com/Artist/PlumDragonessandtheElements +tunecore.com/music/plumdragoness
· Sonni weaves together percussive guitar riffs, artful melodies, and meaningful lyrics to create an earthy combination of soul, funk, jazz, and folk. Her music has drawn comparasions to Amy Winehouse, Hiatus Kaiyote, Erykah Badu, Ani Difranco, and Norah Jones. Sonni has been performing in the Tri-State area for over 10 years as a vocalist and guitarist, and is proud to call West Philadelphia, PA her home. After attending Drexel University for Music Industry, Sonni transferred to Temple University in 2010 where her band, The Underwater Sounds, became one of the first artists to join with the University's record label Bell Tower Records. In their time together The Underwater Sounds recorded 4 studios albums and played over 600 shows throughout the Northeast US. In 2014 The Underwater Sounds won PHL Live’s Best World Music award, and the band has shared the stage with such prestigous acts as Snarky Puppy, The Easy Star All Stars, The English Beat, John Brown's Body, and Groundation. A producer and songwriter at heart, she collaborates frequently with different musicians. She has written music for Kuf Knotz, goldenspiral, C-rayz Walz, Money Fame & Love, Impressionist, and Predator Dub Assassins, and her compositions have been featured on WKDU, WXPN, WMMR, and Radio 104.5. As a yoga teacher, Sonni firmly believes in the healing power of music and sound and is enthusiastic about eventually incorporating elements of Nada Yoga into her classes. The act of performing a song and becoming like "one vibration" with her audience members is a feeling she lives for and believes is profoundly sacred.
· Three Aksha was founded in Philadelphia in 2003 by Artistic Director Viji Rao, and is based at Girard College, where she has been an artist in residence since 2008. Three Aksha seeks to preserve and promote Indian culture and heritage through classical Indian Bharatanatyam dance choreography in the Philadelphia area and in other ethnically diverse regions of the world. Three Aksha has performed in major cities across the US, the UK, Europe and India.
Three Aksha has been recognized for its development of new choreography within the realm of classical Indian tradition, and for its work in the Kalakshetra style of Bharatanatyam, which is renowned for its focus on the body. The company’s dancers have trained in Kalakshetra Bharatanatyam under Viji for a minimum of six years, and have also studied under teachers in India.
In addition to its active performance and touring schedule, Three Aksha shares its expertise in Indian dance in workshops and lecture-demonstrations throughout the Delaware Valley. As a complement to the socially conscious themes that frequently play into the company’s performance work, Three Aksha engages with social issues by working with youth and with fundraising programs.
Many of Three Aksha’s students have pursued Bharatanatyam to its fullest, completing arangetrams (debut performances) and receiving support for apprenticeships from the Philadelphia and New Jersey Councils on the Arts.
A FREE community event … but Donations are Appreciated!